Thursday, April 19, 2012

Life is what you make of it...

So, I was reading my friend Kari's blog regarding entitlement. It was quite interesting. I have to say I agree with her on many points. However, that being said, I believe all people at some point in their lives feel entitled to many things. These things could be money, a newer car, a raise, a better job, etc. I believe you are given a deck of cards in this life and YOU must choose what to do with them.

Sometimes, you might play a great hand, and sometimes you will not. That's part of the fun of life, we are HUMAN!! This allows us to make mistakes and learn and grow from them, if we so choose. We have free will to choose what we would like to do. We are oftentimes given parameters to work within. However, it's how you play the game that matters.

For instance, you can be given a horrible set of circumstances and choose to wallow in it, or you can embrace it and learn from it and pass something positive on. Big or small, YOU choose how to deal with what comes your way.

I have spent much of teen years and adult life in and out of the doctors offices for various medical conditions.  My medical conditions are mine. They are no one's fault, therefore, there is no one to blame. Frankly, I am glad I have been handed this deck of cards. I would not want it any other way. It's not always an easy life, however, it's my life. Therefore, my medical choices are mine and no one else's. I have gone through various medical tests, procedures, surgeries, physical therapy, etc. I don't want pity of any kind. I want people to learn to embrace their differences whatever they maybe.

Currently, I walk with a limp sometimes. Sometimes I use my walking poles for assistance. I don't feel ashamed. It's who I am. The surgery to fix it isn't going to be fun, and it will be painful. I know I can move forward from it. I am not able to do some of the things I used to be able to do, or I would like to do. However, I find new and creative ways to do them. Otherwise, I find different things to do. I find ways which allow me to thrive.

It may not be the way I had planned my life to be. It may not be the way any close friend, family member, or casual observer around me would like to see. However, at the end of the day, I don't have to answer to someone else. I answer to myself and God. It's that simple.

I am from a family that can remember the Great Depression and World War II. I have family who chose to emigrate here to have a better life. We are hard workers in whatever we do, paid or unpaid. We value family, friendships, and the community around us. We value our faith in God.

Sure, I could take the easy road, but I choose not to. Why you ask? Because, it's in my blood, it's who I am. I take pride in everything I do. I never forget where I came from, or the sacrifices my family made to get me to where I am today. I believe everything happens for a reason. You are at this point in life because you were destined for it. You are exactly where you were meant to be at this moment.

I may not have a paycheck right now, yet, I know with hard work, determination, and tenacity something will turn my way. Currently, my job is to take care of the home. I take pride in it. I may not succeed to my high expectations everyday, however, I know I tried, I worked hard, and I never gave up!

4 comments:

  1. You've always had such a great outlook on life, and you've never let health issues or other obstacles stand in your way. You're an inspiration to everyone who knows you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, I try! I struggle everyday. It's not easy. I am glad I have people like you to support me :)

      Delete