Sunday, April 22, 2012

Hip Dysplasia: Dog or Human?

Amazingly, I match our dog. If you do an internet search on hip dysplasia you will see what I mean. Everywhere you search online the number of websites on dog hip dysplasia are astounding in comparison to the ones on human hip dysplasia.

I uttered an audible laugh when the doctor told me I had hip dysplasia. Congenital bilateral subluxation of the hips is the official name. Trying saying that three times fast!! Oh joy!! The condition isn’t fun and explains much of my suspicions from early on in life. I have suffered pain in my hips for years.

Please don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled to have a name to it. However, the treatment and repair is no walk in the park. However, a walk in the park with our dog seems more fun than the ominous future of my hips. This condition explains my limp, my use of a cane and/or walking poles. Sorry about having to use them at your wedding Kari! I had a great time at your wedding despite my walking pole assistant on the dance floor.

Since my diagnosis, I have done some research. I was thrilled to find an institute for it. (International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI) http://www.hipdysplasia.org/default.aspx) However, finding out that Larry the Cable Guy’s Git-R-Done Foundation (http://www.gitrdonefoundation.org) was instrumental in getting IHDI off the ground, which by the way the made my day! I wasn’t happy to find out his involvement came from his son’s own struggle with hip dysplasia. None the less, I welcome Git-r-Done Foundation’s help in funding research, struggling families, and individuals with hip dysplasia.

No comments:

Post a Comment