Monday, June 4, 2012

Where did my Detroit Tigers go?


In the age of “Who’s your Tiger?”, I am more apt to ask, where are my Detroit Tigers?

I am a fan of baseball, yet, to the dismay of my husband at times, I would rather curl up with a good book next to him on the sofa while he is watching baseball. When the Detroit Tigers are on the road, my husband will watch at home or listen on the radio in the car. When they are at home, he is “living the dream” working in sports radio covering the Detroit Tigers.

Believe it or not, our wedding was scheduled around baseball. We were married in 2006. We were supposed to get married in October. Thankfully, for my husband’s sake and our marriage’s sake we moved it up to August. If we had stayed with our October date, my husband would not have been able to witness and cover the World Series. Their first ALCS title and World Series appearance since 1984.

Frankly, I have a disdain for watching baseball on television. I love to see baseball live and in person. I want the visceral experience. You know what I mean, the experience you can feel deep down inside, something words can’t even describe, an experience that years later can bring you back to that moment, that smell, that feeling. You can picture exactly where you were. That’s the kind of baseball that’s for me.

There is nothing like spending a warm summer day or evening at the ballpark. I like to start out my day or night at the game buying peanuts from the church outside of Comerica Park. I love that no matter where I sit I will need to pack and use sun screen. I love conversing with friends, family, or the people in seats nearby. I love to feel the fresh air in my face, my hair blowing in the breeze, an overpriced beer in each hand, a hot dog with mustard and relish. What’s better than that? Okay, the Tigers winning!!

So, let’s get back to that. Why haven’t the Tigers been winning? Why all the negative talk about them? Sure, we spent millions to lure Prince Fielder away from my Brewers, but I can’t really blame him. This is his hometown, and this is where is dad played. I would hope if I was in his position I would have done the same thing.

This past Sunday, we had Magglio Ordonez’s retirement from baseball at Comerica Park. It was a bittersweet moment for the fans, the city, the state, and frankly, all baseball fans. There was even a gesture from, former Tiger and current Yankee, Curtis Granderson, which could be interpreted as kindness, goodwill, and appreciation toward Magglio. Gone are the days fans in Detroit traded their Ben Wallace Fear the Fro hair, after the Pistons’ 2004 NBA Championship Title, in for Magglio hair for the 2006 ALCS and World Series. Who knew you could get so much use out of a wig owned by many Detroit sports fans in just a few short years, spanning two different sports? I will admit I will miss Magglio. It was great to have him on our team. As well, I found it ironic and bittersweet that Curtis Granderson was here with his Yankees to send Magglio off at the end of his career. Curtis Granderson was my favorite Tiger when he was here. Magglio has always held a special place in my heart as well. I wish Magglio and his family well as he leaves.

So, what is really happening with the Tigers? I am not exactly sure. I am not an expert on baseball. I know everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately, it’s been extremely negative lately.  I am just hoping the Tigers can get their act together as a team for themselves and for Detroit. We need something positive to look forward to in these economically turbulent times. Therefore, I am pulling for wins against Cleveland this week. I am hoping if they can pull that off, they will gain some momentum and continue climbing their way back to the top of their game. Then, I will be able to say my Tigers are back! However, this time I won’t be wearing my Magglio hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment