Tuesday, March 20, 2012

NCAA Tournament

This past weekend was a great time for the underdogs in the world of college basketball. Lehigh upset Duke. Norfolk State upset Missouri. VCU upset Wichita State. North Carolina State beat San Diego State and Georgetown. Ohio upset Michigan. South Florida beat Temple. Cincinnati beat Florida State.

I was glad UDM (Detroit) made it to the tournament, but I figured it would be short lived. I give them credit for working hard and making it there. I was happy to see VCU get to where they did, but I was sad to see them go. Ohio University has taken a special place in my heart; where else can you go and celebrate in a dorm room with a hot tub?

Also, it doesn’t hurt that I was at Michigan with my husband the day of the selection party where the Wolverines were matched up to play the Bobcats. He was covering it, and I was waiting on the sidelines so to speak. We had attended a memorial luncheon for a friend whose mom passed, had our taxes done, and we were almost to Ann Arbor. At which point my husband said he would ask, and they let me in. It was great to see the players and Beilein speak in person. I don't know when I will get a chance like that again.

That being said, do I like Michigan? Sure. Did I attend any games during the regular season? Absolutely! I attended what is affectionately called the Mustard v. Ketchup game at our house, aka Michigan v. Wisconsin. I was slated to attend the Mustard v. Relish game, aka Michigan v. Michigan State, but those plans fell through. If you had seen the contrast of the uniforms in person, you would understand the condiment analogy.

Unfortunately, my first game to the renovated Crisler arena, or should I say Crisler Center, was a great game for Michigan, not so great for Wisconsin. Being from Wisconsin, I will follow Michigan and Michigan State, but the Badgers are my team. Wisconsin played terrible, not a stellar game in my mind. Let's just say they left much to be desired. Now, they are in the Sweet Sixteen. I am not sure they will push past Syracuse, but a Badger fan can hope.

I am thrilled the Big Ten still has a good presence going into the Sweet Sixteen. We have Michigan State, Indiana, Wisconsin, and, dare I say, Ohio State. I am thrilled for my hubby, my great friend Kari, our friends John and Chris, and all the other Spartan fans out there. Sparty on!! I like Izzo as a coach. I just don’t like when they beat my Badgers.

I was really pulling for Purdue to pull off the upset on Kansas, but they fell short in the final few plays of the game. That was painful to watch. I was glad Marquette won as well. Since they are from my hometown of Milwaukee, I have to cheer them on, it’s in my blood. So, right now I can’t complain too much. We will see what this coming weekend brings.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Sparty on! We're watching the games down here in Florida and celebrating our Spartan spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete